Saturday 9 August 2008

Leek Pub Report

It was Saturday night, after all...

First Stop was the 'Quiet Woman', which turned out to ber a fairly default modernised pub. The pub sign has a headless woman on it, but the landlord had 'no idea' of the real origins of the name - the current building is victorian. He's heard stories that it might come from a woman who was killed by the round table for telling their secrets, but doesdn't belive them., They had a covers duo - 'Red hot and Blue' who knocked out a fair range of songs - , Sunday Afternoon, Midnight Hour, Man in the Moon, all sorts- vocals, guitar & backing CD.

Next pint in the Wilkes Arms, a Proper Real Ale pub. Being vegetarian I get a pint of lager if I'm lucky, but it doesn't stop me liking real ale pubs - nice vibe, barstaff (dreadlocks & musician respectively) and jukebox (Freebird, then something by Hendrix). I would have stayed for another...

...had I not spotted a band (Bak A Gen - possible worst band name ever, I did wonder if they were a Genesis tribute band after seeing that) loading in to The Unicorn earlier. So third pint was with 60s/70s rock covers - more Kinks, of course, lots more R&B stuff. A tight three piece, both live acts reminded me of the fun of playing gigs with a band, and also how much better a musician I'd have to be to be able to do that. I've my niche, though, that's OK. A chat with the bassist/vocalist and he also plays mandolin in a folk band... there's definitely some connection about those upside down strings.

So sorry Phil, no detailed beer report, the best I can say is that the Grolsch was OK and the Stella (as usual) generally rank. But a fun night out, nevertheless...

No comments: