Wednesday 9 July 2008

Weds 9th July - Berkamstead to Slapton

I left Berkhamstead in a period of lesser rain, let's say, and plodded on. A section of lots of locks, done with sun & company last time, so a bit dull in the rain on my own. I had a decent waterproof for my upper half but was stuck in shorts & deck shoes otherwise - once they were wet, I stayed wet until I finally moored up for the night at Slapton at 8.30 (I thought I may as well move on than cut the day short), lit the stove dried off and into dry clothes. What to bring on such a trip is a bit suck it and see, so obvious wateroproof boots & trousers, and also something easy to keep misc deck kit (guide book, camera, wallet etc) accessible and yet protected. The guide book ended up pretty much sodden on several days, and on drying out is a bit stuck together in places.

I found time for a late trip to the Carpenters Arms and got to meet the locals - nice pub, short walk from the canal but not nearly as far as I'd been told.

No comments: